Don't Do It Without A Doula!

The bloggings of a new doula, and the other things that take up her days!

Saturday, May 20, 2006

Does she love me?

I sort of feel like a teenager in love. Waiting, waiting, waiting... to hear those wonderful words: "I want YOU to be my doula!".

I have a potential client right now, who I've exchanged about 6 emails with. The first 6 were all sent back and forth (6 each of us, so 12 total) within a period of several hours. The last email was the "deal cincher" - a list of standard questions you can get online, to ask your doula. I asked those same questions of MY doula! I eagerly replied and now I'm in the waiting stage. It's been 5 days, but who's counting? I even did the pathetic thing and sent an email saying "Hope you received my last message".

Sometimes my emails don't seem to arrive. Or so I'm told. I'm beginning to wonder if my complex is based in reality.

So here I sit, just wondering if sometime soon anyone is going to actually validate my status as a doula. Since I decided for sure to become a doula I've had ONE client. She was wonderful, a friend called J. I looked forward to her birth so much, she had my OB too, and I was anxious to see what he was like in someone else's birth. Well, it so happened that I was out of the country when she delivered. What a track record! Sadly it was necessary that I leave the country. I would usually never leave around a client's due date, but I had to.

So since then I've received some calls and emails, interest never seems to go very far. One has to wonder what I'm doing wrong? Perhaps people don't like a 'newbie' - how will I gain experience then?

Well, I don't mean to turn this blog into something negative, after all, life is pretty wonderful. Maybe I should make a shocker post and put my birth pics up. Bet that'd get some readership. ;)

4 Comments:

Blogger Valerie said...

Great Blog Amber! Maybe you should talk to your Doula and see if you cant sit in with her on a couple of visits to put that on you resume ya know shows that you have experiance.

2:06 PM  
Blogger Amber Sebold said...

Thanks Valerie! I have sat in on some actually, and ended a couple before I officially became a doula. Plus my own two births. I'm not even sure if that's it.. maybe there's something I'm not aware of.

2:09 PM  
Blogger Valerie said...

Well before I knew you I didnt even know what a doula was. There might not be enough awarness about Doula's. Can you print up nice professional flyers and take them to the hospital's in the area and to Doctor's offices and have them sitting out for people to pick up and read and take home with them.

2:51 PM  
Blogger Amber Sebold said...

I do have some flyers. Around here doulas are pretty well known - to hospitals and stuff anyway. I did email the local paper and ask if they would run a story about doula's and they said yes! I'll let you know how that goes.

9:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home